This new association is made up of nine of the world’s most important ultramarathon races.
A new adventure begins for The North Face Transgrancanaria. The event kicks off in 2024 as part of World Trail Majors, a brand-new association of ultramarathon races that was announced this Monday. This new circuit will focus on mountain enthusiasts of all levels, creating a long-term project to promote destinations through sports.
Gran Canaria and the Canary Islands return to the forefront of international trail running, making a strong commitment to relaunch the values of this sport.
The initial calendar for World Trail Majors 2024 includes the following races:
- Hong Kong 100 Ultramarathon: one of the races that internationalized trail running in China. 2024/01/18-21. 102 km, +5314 m. Hong Kong, China.
- Black Canyon Ultras: pure American trail running on ancient paths of native ethnicities and stagecoaches. 2024/02/10-11. 100 km, +1250 m. Phoenix, Arizona, United States.
- The North Face Transgrancanaria: a classic on the world trail running calendar. 2024/02/21-25. 126 km, +6804 m. Canary Islands, Spain.
- Mt.FUJI 100: Japanese-style trail running with the symbolic significance of the country’s highest mountain. 2024/04/26-27. 165 km/+7574 m. Fujiyoshida, Japan.
- MIUT – Madeira Island Ultra-Trail: an iconic event on the spectacular island of Madeira. 2024/04/27-28. 115 km, +7100 m. Madeira, Portugal.
- Swiss Canyon Trail: originating in 1994, one of the most relevant tests in Central Europe. 2024/06/07-09. 111 km, +5350 m. Val de Travers, Switzerland.
- South Downs Way 100: 100 miles following the historic South Downs Way route, a classic on the British calendar. 2024/06/08-09. 161 km, +3800 m. Winchester, United Kingdom.
- Quebec Mega Trail: authentic trail running in the mountains near Quebec. 2024/07/05-07. 160 km, +6500 m. Quebec, Canada.
- RMB Ultra-Trail Cape Town: pure mountain next to one of Africa’s most cosmopolitan cities. 2024/11/22-24. 166 km, +7516 m. Cape Town, South Africa.
Thus, Transgrancanaria faces a new path. According to its director, Carlos Torrent, “World Trail Majors is the most important project we have been involved in.” “An alliance between races with a long-term vision in which we aim to convey the values of our sport to the world, especially Gran Canaria and other destinations”, he adds.
World Trail Majors is born with this guide of principles.
- Diversity is understanding the variability of this sport, avoiding uniformity by embracing difference as something enriching that improves trail running as a sporting, cultural, and social activity. Trail running is practiced in different ways, with a variety of distances and terrains, and none is necessarily better than the other. Variety is inherent to trail running, a key value that should not be lost. Respect and even enhance where it takes place. Trail running is practiced in places that existed before this sport and are part of it.
- Respect for the natural environment, local customs, and the diverse views of this sport to grow as an activity that enriches and is enriched by the local context. A sport that takes place in nature has no other way of being practiced than with respect, a way of understanding the activity globally, beyond the sport itself, and it is the responsibility of everyone to prioritize respect wherever we practice organized trail running. Identity because each race has its own unchangeable and differentiated personality that is nourished by its local implementation and the evolution of its particular history.
- Personality and identity are antonyms of uniformity, and trail running, diverse and multifaceted, should not lose this part of its essence. Personality is the mutual legacy that will remain indelible among runners, races, and local communities, making each event not only a sporting experience but also vital.
The World Trail Majors adventure will kick off in January in Hong Kong and will end in South Africa, with The North Face Transgrancanaria being the third of its stops. An exciting challenge that will traverse the world, with Gran Canaria as one of the preferred destinations for outdoor sports.